[mythtv-users] Video noise or distortion across very top edge of image

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:09:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good to know - I'll update that when I get home.
>
> Anyone know if I can accomplish that in Vista?
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Kenneth Emerson
> <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm also familiar with nvidia-settings I've just never messed with
>>> overscan.
>>>
>>> I'll try this when I get home.
>>>
>>> I'm also seeing the following in the dmesg on the backend:
>>>
>>> [  128.035461] hdpvr 1-4:1.0: untested firmware version 0xf, the
>>> driver might not work
>>> [  128.333099] hdpvr 1-4:1.0: device now attached to /dev/video0
>>>
>>> I assumed I had the latest firmware since my HD-PVR purchase was 1
>>> week ago. Message threads seem to indicate that this message appears
>>> if your firmware is too recent. Does anyone know what version 0xf
>>> equates to and if I need to find a Windows machine to upgrade the
>>> firmware on my HD-PVR with? The only windows machine in my house my
>>> partner's laptop running Vista. Is Vista even a supported OS for the
>>> firmware update or do I need to temporarily load XP on a spare
>>> machine?
>>>
>> Mr. Walker:
>> I purchased my HD-PVR from Newegg about 2 months ago and it also came with
>> 0xf firmware. I updated it using the enclosed CD and Haupaugge's web site.
>>  It is now recognized by dmesg as 0x12 so I believe you are not using the
>> most recent firmware.
>> -- Ken E.

I did get this upgraded in Vista - no problem.

I was not however able to find the Overscan settings in nvidia-settings.

I am also having trouble getting the HDMI to be working after reboot.
Each time I enable it and reboot, it is disabled again.

I also have trouble - I set my Cable box to 'my tv only supports 720
and 1080i - suddenly it recorded Dexter at 1080i and my frontend had
issues decoding it smoothly. I was using VDPAU High Quality and it
stuttered pretty bad. I changed to VDPAU normal and it was better but
on panning I noticed some aliasing.

Does anyone know what the nest settings are for the onboard nVidia using VDPAU?

The device shows as follows in lspci:

VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8300] (rev a2)