[mythtv-users] General purpose frontend for 300 bucks?

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 16:32:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:07 PM, JEDIDIAH <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 06:21:13PM -0500, Jason Weida wrote:
> > Any reason this<
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173001&cm_re=ion_330-_-56-173-001-_-Product
> >(Zotac
> > MAG HD-ND01) is not a perfect general purpose frontend?  I'm assuming
> that
> > Flash 10.1 will give me reasonable GPU accelerated YouTube/Hulu playback
> > right now, but I don't currently have any ION systems to test with.  No
> OS
> > installed, just the hardware in an attractive package.  Not available to
> > order today, so I'm signed up to be notified.
> >
> > I *almost* ordered
> > this<
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158007&cm_re=ion_330-_-56-158-007-_-Product
> >(ASROCK
> > ION 330) for 50 bucks more and stumbled upon this guy.  I think the
> > Zotac would be worth the wait.
>
> ...you will have to tell us what the fan noise is like.
>
> I have both a Revo and an Asrock 330 and find the fans slightly
> disapointing.
>
> Although I don't think they are $250 - $400 worth of disapointment. '-)

We have quite a few Revo's deployed and we have had no feedback that the fan
noise is obtrusive... or even audible even in rooms like bedrooms where they
might be more noticeable. I have one running as a FE at home in a bedroom
mounted on the back of a TV and we have never heard the fan at all (and
believe me I would definitely here about it if it were!!).

The Asrock's fan noise on the other hand is definitely noticeable and would
not be a very good choice for a bedroom or other room where the unit might
be left on for extended periods.

All the best

Andrew

--