[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Mon Nov 23 00:05:13 UTC 2009

Derek & Cindi Cass wrote:
> I have had 2 instances of this error that resulted in my mythbox actually
> shutting down.  I don't find any evidence of a kernel panic and the last
> lines in the mythbackend.log are the errors above.  Nothing in any logs that
> I can find so I've no clue what actually happened.
>
> All I know is that myth was on, recording a show, these errors showed up for
> the entire length of the recording, and at 15:24 the machine shuts down.
> Both recordings ended up being exactly 15:09.

Ouch.  I haven't seen that shutdown.

In the bad recordings I'll see instances where the recording will end
early (10-15 minutes) after showing the error once or a couple of times.
  Other times it records the whole program and flickering will be there
for the whole program.  Each time it flickers, it seems to log the error.

If it makes it all the way through the program, it then has the
flickering in any programs after that.  I usually see that with back to
back recordings of The Daily Show followed by The Colbert Report.  The
flickering in subsequent recordings continues I stop the backend and
restart the backend.

One other thing I forgot to mention, is when the flickering does happen,
the audio loses sync with the video.  The audio does NOT drop out when
the blank frames appear.  Sometimes during playback the audio jumps and
does resync with the video but then it starts to go out of sync again.

Alan