[mythtv-users] Moving from debian to ubuntu on master backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 22 13:29:38 UTC 2009

On 11/22/2009 06:56 AM, John wrote:
> Thomas Mørch wrote:
>> I'm planing on doing my first reinstall of my debian server for the
>> last 6 years, as my current partition scheme is getting a bit to
>> limited.
>>
>> I also plan on upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10, as it seems like they have
>> more "new" stuff that I could potentialy use in my system (backend is
>> used as web, sip, mail, samba, webcontent filtering, and mythtv server).
>>
>> The most critical component right now, that I'm a bit worried about,
>> is MythTV, The WAF will drop considerable, if our old recordings are
>> lost.
>>
>> Is there any precautions that I have to take?
>>
>> Current setup is mythtv 0.21 fixes. Recording directories are on a
>> seperate drive, to the root partition, so they won't be deleted
>> during the move.
>>
>> I also plan on using a new drive for the root, so I still have my old
>> debian, if anything goes wrong.
> I think the only critical thing is that you follow the backup and
> restore database instructions. If you do a clean mythbuntu or  UBuntu
> 9.10 install i THINK you will end up with a clean install of 0.22,
> which your database backup will not be suitable for. You must ensure
> that you only restore to the right version of the database, so either
> downgrade the new database to a 0.21-fixes install restore and then
> upgrade, or upgrade on the old install backup and then restore onto
> the new.

Right.  Though, doing a full restore  of the 0.21-fixes backup is fine.
But it's critical that you DROP the existing (0.22-fixes) database
before restoring the 0.21-fixes backup.

Don't do a partial restore--there's really no benefit to it (unless you
have a corrupt schema) and it's much more complex because of the version
change.

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore for more.

Mike