[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging in the UK

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 21 17:42:33 UTC 2009

On Saturday 21 Nov 2009 17:24:29 Mark Garland wrote:
> > > Basically, commercial flagging just doesn't work for me (Myth 0.22).
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm based in the UK and would say that the commercial flagging has worked
> pretty well in both 0.21 and 0.22.
>
> In particular, I quite like watching the old Star Trek Voyager series on
> Virgin's channel (channel 20?) and that really does work well.  Every single
> advert is caught and skipped beautifully to the second.
>
> Occasionally it can get confused - I remember watching a cartoon called "Bob
> and Margaret" and the screen faded to black between scenes - that confused
> it.
>
> I've just asked the missus and she informs me that the More4 channel doesn't
> work well for her - "How Clean Is Your House" and "Location, Location,
> Location" being the worst offenders.  She tells me that it occasionally
> misses adverts completely, although she just skips manually.
>
> Even though the BBC programmes do not have commercials, I still run
> mythcommsflag over them.  As I record a few minutes before (and after) to
> account for schedule slippage, running mythcommsflag over the programme
> means that the beginning few minutes of wasted recording is skipped over and
> as soon as play is pressed the programme starts perfectly.
>
> As to settings, mine has just come out of the (K)Ubuntu repositories, so
> whatever they're set to as default is what I'm using.  Would be happy to
> look up the settings explicitly if requested.
>
> Hope that helps,

Thanks to both of you. That's all interesting and useful stuff, I think it's like I suspected, it works well on some channels but not others. Apart from the commercial-free channels I tend to mostly record FilmFour, Channel 4, and Dave, and I hardly ever get a successful commercial detection on those channels.

I'll play with the settings a little more and see if I can tweak it. Thanks again

Mark