[mythtv-users] Video noise or distortion across very top edge of image

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 16:49:36 UTC 2009

I've got the HD-PVR running on Component capture of a Motorola DCX3200
on a dedicated backend.

I've got a dedicated frontend using VDPAU and 0.22 compiled from source.

Channel 222 is CNN Headline News (love my Robin Meade). I am seeing
some sort of video noise or distortion across what seems to be the
very top pixel of my playback image. This happens in LiveTV and also
on Recording.

This morning I used the Shutdown-Menu on the Motorola DCX3200 to tell
the STB that my TV only handles 1080i and 720p which finally got me a
full screen image on my Samsung LCD Television. Now that Samsung is
connected to frontend using the VGA dsub. The max resolution on this
Tv is 1368x768 so I wasn't going to mess with the HDMI out on my
frontend's motherboard.

The motherboard is an ASUS with an onboard nVidia as follows from lspci:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce
8300] (rev a2)

VDPAU seems to be working ok out of the box - the distro is MythBuntu 9.10.

I tried adjusting the Vertical offset in the Setup-->Playback menu. I
moved it from 0 through 10 (trying each incrementally) and I wasn't
able to notice any difference. It does seem that each time I invoke
the LiveTv mode I may get a more or less dramatic experience of this
noise.

Does anyone know what this is and how to go about resolving it?