[mythtv-users] sanity check or repairing DB for 0.22 upgrade.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 19 01:20:56 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 08:09 PM, Alan Anderson wrote:
> Sanity check please.
>
> I have one master backend  mythbackend version: 0.21.20080304-1 and three
> front ends.   I have had the same data base for 5 or more years.  Typically
> when I upgrade I backup /var/lib/mysql upgrade the version  of fedora and
> restore /var/lib/mysql.  So far it has always worked.  I have backups of
> mythconverg but never needed them.  I also run the script
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-docs-0.21/contrib/optimize_mythdb.pl weekly.
>

> When I tried to install V0.22 I ran into the following scheme update issue.
>
> Query was:
> ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1;
> Driver error was [2/1283]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to execute statement
> Database error was:
> Column 'filename' cannot be part of FULLTEXT index
>
> Every time I start a front end the error occurs.
>

> From my understanding this is issue where some UTF characters got into the
> data base when everything should be latin1.   I need to do a partial restore
> to fix this.  I need to fix the data base before I can upgrade to V0.22.

That's something very different.  I'd bet you're running with MySQL
strict mode enabled (which is the default for MySQL on Windows)--which
will break Myth.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/391418#391418
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/391420#391420

(and I'm 99% positive that even TRADITIONAL mode will break myth).

If not, the problem is just the way you restored with binary data
files.  You should /always/ use a SQL-based mythconverg backup when
upgrading the MySQL server***.

Also note that dropping a 0.21-fixes database data files on top of a
0.22-fixes database schema's database files will break Myth.  You need
to ensure you DROP the 0.22-fixes database (or otherwise remove it
completely).

Mike

***Yeah, I said "mythconverg backup," thereby implicitly excluding
backups performed by MySQL database admins on work database systems.
Basically, you have to know what you're doing /and/ what MySQL changes
occured to reliably do binary-file restores.  There's no reason any
MythTV user should /ever/ be expected to do this, so just use SQL-based
backups.