[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend 0.21-fixes Segfault

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 16 21:04:54 UTC 2009

On Nov 16, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Brian Long wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Brian Long wrote:
>
> > My wife said she was watching a program and the frontend froze.  This is my Zotac ION motherboard running 0.21-fixes + VDPAU patches (MePo-wide theme).  Even after I run "telinit 3" to kill X, etc. Xorg is taking 100% of the CPU.  I had to kill -9 it.
> > Does anything pop out at anyone on what the problem could be?  This is not the first time something similar has happened with this ION-based frontend and I don't know whether to upgrade to 0.22 across the board or work out the bugs on 0.21-fixes first.
>
> Nothing pops out, but I didn't look that closely... But I will point out that you're running a completely unsupported build there, which no MythTV dev is likely to care about fixing. For one, 0.21 is no longer the current release, and so far as I know, there are no plans to do any further work to fix any issues with it. Second, you've got the vdpau backport in the mix. If you want to have a prayer at this being fixed, you're going to have to upgrade to 0.22 anyway, so I'd upgrade and try to reproduce there. If its fixed, then party, if not, then at least you're running something MythTV devs actually care about fixing. :)
>
> Sounds like a plan.  :-)
>
> Regarding 0.21-fixes support, is there a stated policy about 0.21-fixes maintenance?

Hrm, good question... There may not be, but almost all devs are solely focused on the development branch, and only occasionally does something get ported into the -fixes branch, and only then, the current -fixes branch, never seen anything go into an older -fixes branch.

> For example, with Fedora, two releases are supported with security fixes and other critical issues.  When F12 is released tomorrow, F10 will be unsupported within a few weeks, if I remember correctly.

You do. Typically, version N stops being supported about one month after version N+2 is released.

> It would be nice for MythTV to have a statement regarding the support of older releases (i.e. critical bugs).  Maybe the statement would be that only the latest -fixes branch is supported; everything else is EOL.

I'm reasonably sure that's the case, but I'll ping some folks to be sure on that and get it formally codified.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com