[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend 0.21-fixes Segfault

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:37:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Brian Long wrote:
>
> > My wife said she was watching a program and the frontend froze.  This is
> my Zotac ION motherboard running 0.21-fixes + VDPAU patches (MePo-wide
> theme).  Even after I run "telinit 3" to kill X, etc. Xorg is taking 100% of
> the CPU.  I had to kill -9 it.
> > Does anything pop out at anyone on what the problem could be?  This is
> not the first time something similar has happened with this ION-based
> frontend and I don't know whether to upgrade to 0.22 across the board or
> work out the bugs on 0.21-fixes first.
>
> Nothing pops out, but I didn't look that closely... But I will point out
> that you're running a completely unsupported build there, which no MythTV
> dev is likely to care about fixing. For one, 0.21 is no longer the current
> release, and so far as I know, there are no plans to do any further work to
> fix any issues with it. Second, you've got the vdpau backport in the mix. If
> you want to have a prayer at this being fixed, you're going to have to
> upgrade to 0.22 anyway, so I'd upgrade and try to reproduce there. If its
> fixed, then party, if not, then at least you're running something MythTV
> devs actually care about fixing. :)

Sounds like a plan.  :-)

Regarding 0.21-fixes support, is there a stated policy about 0.21-fixes
maintenance?  For example, with Fedora, two releases are supported with
security fixes and other critical issues.  When F12 is released tomorrow,
F10 will be unsupported within a few weeks, if I remember correctly.  It
would be nice for MythTV to have a statement regarding the support of older
releases (i.e. critical bugs).  Maybe the statement would be that only the
latest -fixes branch is supported; everything else is EOL.

I found one page about Getting Support [1] and it only mentions IRC.  The
other relevant page seems to be the Community page [2].

/Brian/

1. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Getting_Support
2. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Community