[mythtv-users] Recommendation for fanless heatsing with AMD Athlon II X2 proc?

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Mon Nov 16 17:49:20 UTC 2009

Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi (again)
> I'm considering using an AMD Athlon II X2 240 (socket AM3) processor
> in my new mythtv system:-
>
> http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=384979&CatId=2481
>
> I'm going to use the Antec Fusion case, which is 140mm high.
>
> I'm wondering which heatsink I can use for this processor, I assume it
> runs fairly cool, and can I get away without using a fan.
>
> Any recommendations would be welcome.

The Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler was developed
for the Antec Fusion and NSK2480 cases to allow a "fanless" heatsink
since the case fans can be used for cooling due to the proximity of the
case fans to the heatsink. I have used these successfully in 2 of my FEs
using NSK2480s. It looks like this heatsink is no longer available but I
think there is a newer heatsink available that should work the same.

John