[mythtv-users] ot: Intel ICH9 audio (82801I)

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sun Nov 15 22:36:51 UTC 2009

I am using a Dell Inspiron 530.  The Intel motherboard it uses is
capable of 7.1-channel sound right from the motherboard.  Under
Windows, it can be configured for a variety of speaker configurations,
up to 7 speakers plus subwoofer.

Under Linux, though, I can only get a simple stereo configuration
to work.  None of the other outputs produce audio under Linux.
(I am using Kubuntu 9.10)

Here is the output of lspci:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Dell Device 020d
	Memory at fdff4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
	Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
	Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

I am not all that familiar with ALSA.  If someone could suggest some
tips to get this to work, or where I can go for answers to this
(an ALSA mailing list perhaps?), I really appreciate it.