[mythtv-users] Problems viewing DVDs with MythBuntu 9.04

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sun Nov 15 00:30:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 14 November 2009 16:08:48 Christopher Kerr wrote:
> > As to newer schemes of copy protection, I find that nearly everything
> > released now makes Myth's ripper unhappy. Is there a linux-native DVD
> > ripper which supports the newer copy protection standards? At the moment,
> > resort to ripping such DVD's using DVDFab HD Decrypter under Windows.
>
> Try HandBrake, it's now available for Linux, and comes in both CLI and GUI
> versions. I like the fact that it will transcode to h264 as it rips, save
> space on the files.

Handbrake is brilliant, yes, but it doesn't have any internal copy
protection support at all - it just uses libdvdcss if it finds it installed.

Incidentally, for any new users who want to try Handbrake, I'd suggest using
the latest development snapshot rather than the "stable" but now rather old
0.93.

http://handbrake.fr/snapshot.php

H.264 encoding is now dramatically faster thanks to improvements made to
x.264 in the last year or so.

- Chris