[mythtv-users] Minimum cpu required for VDPAU/HD?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 14 17:24:23 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 November 2009 10:01:56 Mark wrote:

> Hmm.  I didn't notice the VIA chipset on the boards anywhere.  One of
> them has a Geode proc and I'm pretty sure
> that's way too underpowered.  One looks like Ezra or Nehemiah.  800mhz.
> I am a bit worried I won't be able to
> get much memory onboard, and I forgot I still need to decode mp3 audio
> locally.  that might be a bit of a bottleneck.

I don't know what models you have, I based my VIA comment on:

Some of the newer VIA stuff seems a lot better than their older stuff. I have
a few thin clients from ThinLabs that use the VIA CPUs and UniChromePro
video. I can use the UniChrome for MPEG2, but nothing else.

The Via AAEON technology looks interesting, there seems ot be a lot of
competition on the SBC or SOC designs that can decode HD video.

I agree using thin clients is a great way to provide computing for multiple
users in a home, saves power and money, and with gigabit ethernet it's as
fast as local machines.