[mythtv-users] Commflagging 1080i vs. 720p broadcasts in H.264

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Wed Nov 11 02:28:47 UTC 2009

Now that the HDPVR drivers are stable after resolution changes, I have set
my cable box to 1080i for broadcasts that use that resolution.  I've noticed
that mythcommflag now takes an age to process a program.  When I record the
Boston Bruins on NESN HD at 1080i,  it takes about 1 hour to get through the
logo detection phase and then the broadcast is processed at ~10 fps.  When
in 720p, mythcommflag almost keeps up with the broadcast and finishes within
a few minutes after the show is over, going through logo detection much
faster and then it processes the broadcast at ~70 fps.

I realize that there is a lot more data in every frame when comparing 1080i
- 720p, but should I expect such a huge drop-off in performance?  All other
aspects of the system are equal - on Sunday I recorded the Patriots in 1080i
and the commflag job took some 6 hours to complete; right now I am recording
the Bruins, the record time is 80% complete and commflagging is 69% complete
at 69 fps (so it's actually catching up to live tv).  Nothing changed
between those broadcasts.

Is anyone else seeing the same?