[mythtv-users] Any interest in html5's <video> tag in mythweb?

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 22:23:12 UTC 2009

Hello,

I was thinking about replacing the flash player in mythweb with the new
<video> element.  I searched the myth-users and -dev lists and didn't really
see much about it other then, "it's not widely supported".  Which is
understandable, but I think it should be an option at least.

Last night I was messing around with ffmpeg2theora and was able to convert a
couple of .nuv's into .ogv's and was able to display them in a browser.  It
was surprisingly straightforward.

So I'm thinking about making a patch to mythweb where if you have a
supported browser, the right codec, and the actual .ogv file, then use the
<video> tag, otherwise fallback to the flash methods.

Just wondering if there's any interest in this as there are still a couple
of issues.  I think the .flv conversion happens on-the-fly when you load up
the video.  ffmpeg2theora is kinda slow and I'm not sure if it can happen in
real-time.  Creating a user-job to run ffmpeg2theora on every video will
solve this but then you're going to basically have a bunch of .ogv files
lying around...   I figured I'd get the <video> tag to show up first and
then worry about the long-term issues later.

--Ajay