[mythtv-users] StartEncoding failed

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 14:29:40 UTC 2009

David Gabler wrote:
> I can not seem to find the magic combination for video4linux and ivtv.
> the ivtv module fails to insert due to conflicts.
> running centos 5.3,  2.6.18-164.6.1.el5PAE
>
> Works fine with out video4linux/video4linux-kmdl

I just switched from the ivtv package to the video4linux package and
upgraded from MythTV 0.21 to MythTV 0.22. After doing so, my PVR-250's
work with MythTV 0.22.

The ivtv and video4linux packages are not compatible. Therefore, you
need to be sure that you to remove ivtv before you install video4linux.

Therefore, before installing video4linux-kmdl, unload all the ivtv and
v4l related kernel modules. For me running the following was sufficient
to remove them:

modprobe -r ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner video

In addition, before installing video4linux-kmdl, remove the all ivtv
packages except ivtv-firmware? For me, running the following was
sufficient to remove everything:

yum remove `rpm -qa | grep ivtv | grep -v 'ivtv-firmware'`

After doing that, you should be able to reload the ivtv driver using

modprobe ivtv.