[mythtv-users] Why Does JAMU Need R/W Access to Video Files?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 13:14:42 UTC 2009

> yeah, but why does the file/dir needs to be user writable?
>
> it is understanding if I want to let jamu move my files but I just
> want it to download metadata and pictures.

I had the same thought. I would think that moving files would be
infrequent or not used at all for most users (although a very nice
feature to have when needed). So the check could be limited to that
use case. My video files are owned by another user than the mythtv
user that runs the Jamu script. This makes it more convenient for me
since I do most of ripping, transcoding, organizing on another machine
with that user. So lately I have been having to frequently reassign
everything to the mythtv group and give group rw access. Jamu is great
and I am always reluctant to give any criticism on such a significant
contribution, but it sure would be great if I could leave my
permissions alone with the user that created the files, rather than
reassigning them.