[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 04:37:08 UTC 2009

> I have a 'Default' Playback Group, it's title is empty, so as far as I
> know, it applies to all recordings.  I'm not sure what you're talking
> about with this.

Yeah, sorry that was confusing. I forgot there was a default group. I
was mostly trying to frame the later point that all of the playback
settings could be in that group.

> I do agree more playback controls could move into Playback Groups.
> Patches welcome.  The current implemention was a starting point, we're
> normally open to enhancements. :)

Yes, I recall someone commenting once that they had created the
playback groups for their specific use case. So they put the settings
and functionality they needed in, and left it at that. That is
certainly fair, but in terms of usability it has left the settings a
little fragmented now. And I have often thought of cases such as the
ones I have mentioned (and you mentioned some new ones I hadn't
thought of) that seem perfectly suited to playback groups but the
setting just isn't available within playback groups. If I could get my
thesis finished and learn enough C++ I think this is one of the first
things I would look at helping out with. Maybe I am naive or mistaken,
but it seems like a simple enough change.