[mythtv-users] DB charset pre-conversion test failed! Your database seems to be partially corrupted.

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 15:04:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 22:25 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> Most likely the same problem as:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406111#406111 (which
>> was missing tables).  Same solution, too.
>
> OK.  I really, really, hate to have to lose all of the settings that I
> have spent literally years honing and fine-tuning.
>
> Why doesn't the usual database schema upgrade handle this in a more
> graceful, less destructive manner?
>
> Is there something I can while running my 0,21-fixes system to prevent
> this on upgrade?  You say the problem was simply missing tables (but I
> couldn't find reference to which ones).  Can't I just simply create them
> before doing the upgrade?  Will installing certain myth
> components/packages create the needed and missing tables?  I'm most
> willing to do that.
>
> This really is a bug that needs to be fixed in the upgrade, IMHO.  I am
> at least the second person to run into it and making people have to grub
> through the database and lose all of their setting just to upgrade is
> not nice.
>
> b.

If the problem is in fact from missing tables, that's a serious issue.
 I can't imagine the schema upgrade handling such a thing gracefully.
It looks to me like the 1214->1215 upgrade is doing an alter table to
like 44 tables.  Accounting for a missing table would mean that every
one of those would have to check for the existence of the table first
and then recreate it in proper 1214 form if it wasn't there.

If more than a tiny handful of people had this happen, I'd be curious
as to what caused it in the first place.  A missing table caused by a
mysql crash or the like, that doesn't show up as an issue earlier
seems like something that should be really rare.

If you want to try and determine what might be missing you can do:

mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'show tables' > list_of_tables.txt

...and I can compare it to my 1214 database.

Tom