[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Nov 9 12:46:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 06:31 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 06:47 +0000, Nicolas Will wrote:
> > We
> > spend quite a lot to get our systems built (even if we try to go the
> > cheap way initially, we always manage to spend quite a lot, mostly
> > because we went cheap at the start), and the VDPAU capability really
> is
> > a drop in the ocean.
>
> It's not when you can't buy video cards for the hardware you already
> have (PCI/AGP).  And then you can't buy a motherboard that will work
> with the existing CPU you have to get the PCI-E, so you have to buy a
> new motherboard and new CPU and that memory you have won't work with
> the
> new motherboard either, so by the time you are done just trying to get
> VDPAU video card, you've bought a whole new computer.  Again.

Sure, but let's stay in context with the OP's situation.

But at the same time, you are giving another argument to my cause, we
are spending tons of money!

> > It is a very small investment (money and time to
> > make it work, it is plug and play) for a massive return.
>
> Not at all small, unfortunately.

Well, it is a very small investment when you have the simple possibility
of dropping a gfx card or when you are building a new system.

> /me hates the computer hardware game, with their continuous, built-in
> obsolescence games.

Technology for you and me!

Nico