[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Ray Lischner linux at tempest-sw.com
Sun Nov 8 23:05:07 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 November 2009 01:20 pm, Andrew Herron wrote:

> You will never match the SD picture quality from your Intel GPU I'm
> afraid and no hope whatsoever in HD at all.

The only significant problem I have with the Intel GPU is some tearing. The
software deinterlacing and scaling are excellent for SD and HS (ATSC).
Watching a DVD in MythTV or on my Oppo BDP-83 is nearly identical in image
quality (except for the tearing). I haven't seen VDPAU in action, but I can't
imagine how it could improve on the Oppo.

I use a Core 2 Duo E7200 and 965G. The CPU does all the work, but rarely goes
over 30% for ATSC 720p and 1080i. With a good cooler, a good case, and
careful build, I was able to get an inexpensive, quiet frontend.

If I were building a new frontend now, however, I would probably use an
Atom+nVidia solution.
--
Ray Lischner