[mythtv-users] Swapping out old pvr/350/250/150 for USB

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 8 22:29:00 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 November 2009 15:06:16 Scott Harris wrote:
> I've got a collection of pvr 350s, 250s and 150s.  I'm trying to
> re-architect my setup to move to a smaller case.  I'm using
> directv.  To move to USB capture devices, is it just as simple
> as pulling out the pvr cards and replacing with a usb device
> that can handle simple analog input?  I'd still be using other
> usb/serial connection for channel changing.

In theory it should be, assuming you can find analog-capable USB devices. The
PVRs were discontinued due to the move to digital in the USA. Analog devices
may get harder to find as time goes on.

Since most of what you will find are probably digital/analog combos, it means
you are buying capability you do not need.

I have a couple of Plextor PX-TV402Us that worked fine for analog the last
time I tried them, but you still need to find a place to put them, and you
need to deal with the wall warts.

The HDHRs are great, no USB, just ethernet required. If someone would come up
with an analog capable capture device that functioned like the HDHR, that
would be great.

I suspect analog capture devices will now be used primarily to capture the
analog output of STBs, but since most STBs have component outputs, the
HD-PVR-1212s could be used.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org