[mythtv-users] Testing 0.22 before full backend upgrade

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Sat Nov 7 17:09:17 UTC 2009

I would like to do some testing of the 0.22 frontend before springing the
whole thing on my family. Assuming a 0.22 frontend won't talk to a 0.21
backend, even in a half-arsed way to test out the menus, I am thinking of
this strategy

Run a test install on my desktop, as a combined front/backend. Load up the
database from my live backend and upgrade it. This test backend wouldn't
have any tuners -- if that REALLY is a drop dead problem I can stick an old
PVR-500 in it.

Mount the real backend's media drives via read-only NFS, so I can't muck
them up.

Anything I am missing ?