[mythtv-users] Transcoding recordings and moving them to mythvideo

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 7 14:35:47 UTC 2009

2009/11/7 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com>

> Hi,
> myth.find_orphans.pl
> I've googled this subject but I can't seem to find an answer.
>
> I've got a bunch of films I've recorded from TV which I would like to
> (a) move from recordings into mythvideo, so I don't lose them and so that I
> get the mythvideo metadata and
> (b) transcode them to xvid in the process, so as to save disc space.
>
> What I do currently is download them to my laptop using mythweb, transcode
> them with AVIDemux, and then copy them back to my myth box. This is becoming
> slightly more tedious every day :) Is there a script or something that
> integrates nicely into the mythtv GUI that would let me do this? I've
> googled mythtranscode but I can't see how I can use it to do what I want.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Personally I always run my conversions on another system to reduce the load
on the MythTV server.

I run mythrename with the link option to create human friendly symbolic
links to the recording file, then run my mkxvid script to convert the XVID
format and put them straight into the appropriate folder. I then remove the
MPG files from the MythTV storage directory for those programmes I've
converted and lastly run myth.find_orphans.pl to get the database back into
sync with the changes made at the filesystem level.

After that, all you need to do is go into "Video Manager" within
MythFrontend to get it to update the "VIDEOS".

Unfortunately I'm away from my home systems until the end of the week, so
cannot send you the mkxvid script until then.

Cheers
Gordon