[mythtv-users] Alsa lock-up _ POSSIBLY OT

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Fri Nov 6 07:47:52 UTC 2009

Hi again,

 Next issue is really very annoying, and I'm not even sure that this is MythTV related, although I've only seen it in MythTV.

My onboard ac97 audio - digital out sometimes goes into a kind of feedback loop, spitting out a "rough, motorboating" digital noise. Have tried restarting alsa-utils, and unloading alsa modules, but so far, the only way I have found to stop it is to reboot the machine, so it must be quite low level. rmmodding the lower level modules gives me "in use" messages, so I can't unload them. Does anyone know how to reset the whole sound system without a reboot?

Will tail more logs this evening to try to find the cause, but it happens when sound events happen in quick succession (eg. going in and out of liveTV  too quickly), or when playing a difficult sound stream ( unsure about what I mean here, but I used to have the problem with a particular DVD iso, though not any more). This is not 0.22 or Ubuntu Jaunty/karmic related, although I do nor remember ever having the problem with pre-0.1 alsa.  Possibly  adding some module options would solve the issue. Can't say more now, as I'm not in front of the machine.

Cheers!

Marius