[mythtv-users] WANTED: A patch to restore the right arrow menu

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Nov 5 13:23:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:47 PM, William <william_munson at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am looking for a patch to restore the right arrow key menu in the
> recordings screen. I will happily kill the horizontal menu themes since I
> only use mythbuntu or another standard theme. This lack of feature is
> killing this version with me, the wife and my friends who use mythtv.
> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm still on 0.21-fixes, so I haven't experimented with the new
stuff yet. However, by looking at screenshots, it seems that the Watch
Recordings arrangement hasn't changed too drastically. It just seems
like instead of having your groupings on the left and recordings on
the right (which scroll by up/down keys), you now have your groups on
the top and recordings below, and you scroll with left right. Unless
there is more flexibility which some other themes may utilize (and I'm
just not seeing it in the screenshots), it seems the functionality
could have been setup to allow "down" to behave the same way "right"
did if you happen to be on a horizontal layout instead. But of course
maybe that's not possible for a variety of reasons (and as a
programmer, I know how much I hate it when people say "you could have
just done this instead" when they don't understand all the design
decisions involved), so I'm just throwing it out there in case it was
something overlooked.

Alternatively (and it would be a bit late to get this in for 0.22),
would it be possible to make it so the UI designer can specify things
like "pressing RIGHT in this listbox will trigger this event", so that
vertical themes could have this menu pop up with the right key (like
the 0.21 behavior) and horizontal themes could map it to DOWN, and
(assuming they exist) themes with more complex designs which would
accommodate neither option could just disregard the option and require
you to have a button explicitly mapped to access that function?

But I'm with you on missing this functionality. My preferred remote
actually has a single key for menu/info, and since I generally don't
use menus I find it more useful to map the key to act as INFO. Losing
this feature would be annoying to me.

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/