[mythtv-users] Can Myth TV record direct from DVB-T/DVB-T2

Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Nov 5 02:34:43 UTC 2009

2009/11/5 Richard Evans <rp.evans at tiscali.co.uk>

> I'm only at the stage of considering whether to build something using Myth
> TV. I'm considering building a PVR, to record exclusively digital TV
> transmission. Here in the UK digital TV used DVB-T, and soon some DVB-T2
> transmissions will be introduced, initially for HDTV. MythTv looks like a
> good option, however the documentation only seems to talk about using
> Analogue TV capture cards. I can't find anything about recording digital TV.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Video_capture_cards

Yes, you can record DVB and store it without needing to do any video
encoding.  You can record all the channels on a single multiplex (frequency,
roughly) at once using a single tuner.

> Would I be correct in assuming that I could use some sort of DVB-T tuner
> card, or even a DVB-T2, instead of analogue capture cards. This should allow
> it to receive and record digital TV without any need to actually encode any
> video, as the digital TV transmission are obviously already encoded.

Yes, and indeed that is the way most people outside North America use MythTV
these days.

No idea about DVB-T2.  A quick glance at the Wikipedia article makes it
sound like some of the characteristics of the radio layer are changing,
which would mean existing DVB-T cards wouldn't work.  In Australia we have
HDTV over DVB-T working just fine, but we don't have the massive number of
channels per multiplex that you have, generally only 2xSD 1xHD per
multiplex.

--
Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>