[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:36:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about having a setup/wizard screen when you first install asking
> how the user want to use Myth?

I have to disagree nospam.  Microsoft windows style "Wizards" are a
solution looking for a problem.  They either only work for a small
subset of users by hiding all the options (see: "make a chart wizard"
in MS Excel) or they end up being page after page after page of
entering one value and pressing <next> (see" Intuit turbotax).  Even
if the wizard works the first time if I want to go back and make a
change I have no idea where the setting is.  So I have to go through
the entire wizard again to change one setting.  This is one of the
reasons I dislike the mythbuntu control center application so much.
It feels like a Wizard.  Optimizing the setup menus like Robert is
doing and implementing the location sensitive setup choice like others
have suggested in this thread will work wonders.