[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Nov 4 18:51:46 UTC 2009

* On Wed Nov 04, 2009 at 10:47:08AM +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:
> > sed -i -e '/<livepreview/d' CPUHungryTheme/*.xml
> >
> > (making up tag names, but you get the point--just edit the theme if you
> > must use a theme whose author likes live preview, but you don't want it)
>
> I disagree. I don't think this is something a themer should decide.
> The difference in the visual appearance is imho insignificant. So it's
> perfectly fine to have a setting for this because the user finds the
> live-previews distracting, makes the ui sluggish, kills the climate, ...
> or in the opposite case wants to delete a recoring beacause $PERSON
> appears in the first second, ...

I think that with the current flexibility of the UI engine, it should
be more up to the themer, but also think that if the use doesn't want an
animated video, they should be able to easily switch to just displaying
the preview image.  I always turn off the animated video, and in 0.21 and
prior, I turned off the preview images as well.  I think I'm the one that
added the old <altarea> tag to allow the description to flow over into
the preview area of the theme when no preview was being shown.  I think
in 0.22+, we've left the preview on/off decision up to the themer, but
I think we should leave the preview image/video decision up to the user.

--
Chris