[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Wed Nov 4 09:47:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 07:49:03PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/03/2009 07:27 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 November 2009 04:07:22 pm Robert McNamara wrote:
>
> >> Display live preview of recordings (will be theme controlled)
> >>
> > This is another item that really does vary a lot from one installation to
> > another. I found the previews distracting, and worse, they slowed things down
> > enough that I didn't like them. (They made the UI sluggish.) This performance
> > degradation is likely to be worse on systems with weaker CPUs, so it's
> > perfectly reasonable for a person to want to disable live previews in favor
> > of static or no previews.
> >

> sed -i -e '/<livepreview/d' CPUHungryTheme/*.xml
>
> (making up tag names, but you get the point--just edit the theme if you
> must use a theme whose author likes live preview, but you don't want it)

I disagree. I don't think this is something a themer should decide.
The difference in the visual appearance is imho insignificant. So it's
perfectly fine to have a setting for this because the user finds the
live-previews distracting, makes the ui sluggish, kills the climate, ...
or in the opposite case wants to delete a recoring beacause $PERSON
appears in the first second, ...

Janne