[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 3 22:51:50 UTC 2009

On 11/03/2009 05:42 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Tue Nov 03, 2009 at 05:29:22PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> So, if we have:
>>
>>> Alternate clear and save bookmark (true)
>>>
>> (from the original post), then default "Clear bookmark on playback" to
>> false.  Users can manually clear them if desired and/or reset them on
>> exit and/or use the choice to start from beginning/bookmark in the INFO
>> menu.
>>
> Yes, I prefer 'alternate clear/save' ON and 'clear on playback' OFF.
> If someone wants to ignore the bookmark when starting playback, they can
> do so via the MENU.  If they want to clear, it's just one extra button
> press when they start playback or when they want to set a new bookmark.
>
> One option would be to make the 'alternate' intelligent sort of like
> the cutlist editor.  If you hit bookmark w/in X seconds of the existing
> bookmark, it clears.  If you're outside of that X-second window, then
> the bookmark value is set to the new position.

That's not a bad idea.  The hard part would be finding the bookmark to
clear it (for those of us who don't map K/JUMPBKMRK on the remote--I'm
guessing somewhere in north of 90% of users for that one :).

I do plan to add multiple bookmark support***, and part of doing so will
be a UI for selecting bookmarks, so adding a "bookmark editor" would
likely be a trivial addition at that point.

Mike

***Where, actually, 99% of the required code is already there/done by
others (seemingly designed to allow such an enhancement)--it just needs
a couple modifications and a UI.