[mythtv-users] HD-PVR giving up

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 04:32:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com>wrote:

> You could try setting the hdpvr_debug level in the kernel level
> options to see if dmesg might give you some info.
>
> I just got my hdpvr working last night, and the little I've played
> with it it seems to be working quite well.  I compiled from the
> 22-fixes branch which I updated last night.  What I learned along the
> way (which probably has no bearing on your issue, but you never know -
> it might trigger something to try).
>
> If you have SP/DIF selected, but your optical is not hooked up (or you
> hooked it to the output instead of the input like I did), the
> recording will fail.
>
> The patches mentioned on the wiki page turned out to be very important
> for me.  Without the patches, It would work until I changed a channel.
>  Not sure if mythbuntu incorporates these or not.
>
> I have my box set at 720P I believe (I did this a long time ago and
> haven't gone back to verify), but the wiki indicates this should no
> longer be an issue.  I was planning on experimenting this weekend.
>
> I am using VDPAU and haven't tryed without.  It was so easy to setup
> and worked out of the box.  I'm running an i5 (2.66 GHz) and during
> live TV I get 1 to 2% CPU usage on one of the CPUs.
>
> Hopefully something will point you in the right direction.  Good luck.
>
> Ron

I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here with my experience with the HD-PVR.
I've been trying to get this working for about 4 weeks (not solid, I have
been using the firewire successfully in the interim).  I had a fairly recent
firmware installed out of the box (0x0f), but try as I might using the
information in the HD-PVR wiki, the backend would fail on all recording
attempts.  I started over by upgrading the firmware at Hauppaugue web site.
It now sits at 0x12.  After re-adding the HD-PVR to the backend, I actually
got a recording to be made with no errors in the log file; however, the
recording itself was unwatchable.  The recording would "stutter"; it would
play fine for 2-5 seconds then stop as if it had been paused on a single
frame for 1-2 seconds and then repeat.  After searching the recent posts and
finding your post, I decided to go back and change the output of my DCH3200
to 720p (it was at 1080).  I had left it at 1080 because, as you pointed
out, the wiki said this step should no longer be required.  I am here to say
that when I changed to 720, not only did I get no errors while recording,
but the playback was flawless.  So I would say, at least in my case, 720p
output is required.

-- Ken