[mythtv-users] HD-PVR giving up

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Mon Nov 2 07:18:24 UTC 2009

> On Fri Oct 30 22:29 , Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com> wrote:You could try setting the hdpvr_debug level in the kernel level
>options to see if dmesg might give you some info.

>I just got my hdpvr working last night, and the little I've played
>with it it seems to be working quite well.  I compiled from the
>22-fixes branch which I updated last night.  What I learned along the
>way (which probably has no bearing on your issue, but you never know -
>it might trigger something to try).

>If you have SP/DIF selected, but your optical is not hooked up (or you
>hooked it to the output instead of the input like I did), the
>recording will fail.
>The patches mentioned on the wiki page turned out to be very important
>for me.  Without the patches, It would work until I changed a channel.
> Not sure if mythbuntu incorporates these or not.
>I have my box set at 720P I believe (I did this a long time ago and
>haven't gone back to verify), but the wiki indicates this should no
>longer be an issue.  I was planning on experimenting this weekend.
>I am using VDPAU and haven't tryed without.  It was so easy to setup
>and worked out of the box.  I'm running an i5 (2.66 GHz) and during
>live TV I get 1 to 2% CPU usage on one of the CPUs.
>Hopefully something will point you in the right direction.  Good luck.

Thanks Ryan and Ron,

 Firmware is, I think latest, Set was delivered with 1.5.6, but to make sure I "upgraded" from a doze VM a few weeks back. Once the file is unzipped, it says it's beta, but I think Hauppauge just forgot to rename it.

I now have both RCA and s/pdif connected, so can switch easily between them. One stupid mistake I did find was that I had connected the s/pdif from the computer to the hdpvr input instead of from the tv tuner (because of the way my audio system is set up. I've fixed that now, but still no luck. There does seem to be a problem with the file that is created in tne livetv dir. Looks like the one mythtv is looking for is always a different name from the one that's there. I stop livetv, delete the file, try again, and another file is created with the wrong name. I didn't have time to completely confirm it, so might be a wrong impression. Will write back next time I have time to play with the system...probably towards the end of the week. Sorry about html.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list