[mythtv-users] Upgrading Ubuntu

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Nov 1 13:43:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 11:14 +0000, Dan wrote:
> Hi all -
> No system upgrade can ever be sure to be free of teething problems,
> despite nico's relaxedness ;)

Well, 7 years of dealing with Debian systems here. Most upgrade issues
are caused between the chair and the keyboard.

>  - they're complex things, we all have
> different hardware etc etc. So Damian's idea to wait a week or so is
> sensible IMHO.

Hardware has only to do with the kernel.

The rest is software that couldn't care less about it.

> Someone on twitter warned me to check the following issue before any
> 0.21->0.22 upgrade (i.e. before mythbuntu 9.04->9.10):
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding
> Don't think it's been mentioned so far in this discussion. My system
> (which was a clean mythbuntu 9.04) doesn't seem to be affected but
> it's worth checking.

This is a software issue, pure MythTV, nothing to do with a system

This issue has been documented long enough here.

I believe that Michael T. Dean has taken great care of it here and in
his code too.