[mythtv-users] Thoughts on Hauppauge Wintv Pvr 150 Mce

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Thu May 28 16:00:11 UTC 2009

Jason Vincent wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am located in the UK and have cable with VirginMedia, but after reading
> the archives on VM's encrypting of their content and voiding the contract
> agreement if you use other devices other than their own, I've decided to
> buy a card that receives Freeview and use that instead.
>
> I have been looking at the Hauppauge Wintv Pvr 150 which appears to be a
> tried and tested card and has gotten good reviews.
>
> Before I go out and buy it though I was wondering:
>
> 1) Could I just buy that card and receive Freeview?
> 2) Would I need an aerial to receive it?
> 3) If so, would a small one that I could mount inside the house be
> sufficient or would I need a large, external one?
> 4) Is there some other card that would allow me to acheive my aim of
> getting started with MythTV without connecting up using VM cable?

You could use the PVR150 via s-video to record from your Virgin set top
box - that's what I do. It's no different to plugging a VCR or DVD
recorder into the box, and doesn't void your T&C (although IANAL). You
would need a scart to svideo converter, but you can pick these up at
electronics shops like Maplins (or even Dixons/PC World etc if you are
REALLY desperate!)

To receive Freeview you will need a DVB-T card, which is NOT the PVR150
(that records terrestrial tv only, so 5 channels if you are lucky, and
will stop working some time over the next year or 2 depending on where you
live due to the digital switchover). You will need something like the
Hauppauge Nova T 500, although there are many to choose from - look at the
wiki for suggestions and compatibility. You will also need an aeriel for
this option, and I would suggest that an indoor one will not be a good
solution, although you may get away with it depending on your location.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts