[mythtv-users] mythbackend missing recordings.

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon May 25 16:44:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/25/2009 10:21 AM, Glenn Sommer wrote:
>>
>> Yes, all permissions are correct.
>> btw, I was wrong in my statement about 0byte files, actually it
>> doesn't even create the files at all.
>>
>> Anyway, I've tried raising the tuning timeouts for both DVB-C cards...
>> Maybe that will make a difference...
>> Though, if the backend timeouts when tuning - doesn't it retry later then?
>
> If you get no file at all (and no reported errors in the backend log file),
> that generally means that the capture card did not provide /any/ data at all
> for MythTV to write.  (Note that this is assuming you have permission to
> write to the recordings directories--if you don't, there should be an error
> in the logs and it should show that it stopped trying to record early rather
> than showing a message saying it's stopping the recording at the proper
> time.)
>
> So, sounds like a capture card/driver/configuration issue.
>
> Mike

Hmmm...when we discussed missed recordings here:

I wasn't aware of what you're saying above.  The missed recording
thing has happened to me on rare occasions, but I'm almost certain
that when it did, I too got no recording at all with no errors in the
log...not a zero length file.

In my case this was DVB-T recordings with properly configured HD-5500
cards using fairly current kernel drivers.  When it's happened it's
sometimes been with more than one show in a row on the same station,
and even with different cards of the three HD-5500s I have.

Especially give how rare it is, it's hard to imagine that being a
configuration issue.  If/when it happens to me again, I'll make sure
to check if it's zero length or missing, but I'm all but certain they
were in fact missing altogether.  It seems to me that the same has
been true for others who've had this occur.

Tom