[mythtv-users] xbmc mythbox thoughts

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:32:34 UTC 2009

There is work being done to make XBMC server as a unified PVR
frontend, see: http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=GSoC_-_Unified_PVR_Frontend.
I think that mythtv is one of the main frontends slated to take
advantage of this new capability. I have read people talking about it
in the forums. However I just don't see XBMC supplanting the standard
frontend. The mythtv devs would basically be relinquishing control of
a major portion of the mythtv project to another group. XBMC simply
has a different set up goals and priorities than mythtv and it is
highly unlikely that both groups would have the same vision for the
work. Like others have said much of the UI features of XBMC will be
there in .22. The way I see it going forward is there will always be a
standard mythfrontend. If the XBMC unified pvr architecture works out
then there will certainly be a mythtv fronted as part of that. Maybe
mythbox will be involved, or maybe it will be made obsolete by it. As
usually there will advantages to using XBMC and different advantages
to using the standard frontend.