[mythtv-users] Just a two-lines playback...

Andrea Giuliano sarkiaponius at alice.it
Thu May 21 19:51:00 UTC 2009

Paul Gallaway wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Andrea Giuliano <sarkiaponius at alice.it> wrote:
>> Thanks for your kind answer.
>>
>> I'm using the debian-multimedia repository. I didn't know there were other
>> repositories for multimedia stuff, I'll take a look.
>
> I user named Tino has also been kind enough to provide a more recent
> repository for MythTV libraries. See his last update post here:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/375534#375534
> (Thanks Tino!)
>
>> Currently I'm using the UseFBDevice option in xorg.conf, but I also tried
>> with intel and i810 drivers, same results.
>
> I interpret 'fbdevice' as a generic frame buffer (feel free to correct
> me if this is something else). What videocard do you have? Is it an
> onboard graphics display? From your response I'm getting the
> impression that maybe you don't have your xorg.conf optimized or
> perhaps haven't installed the corresponding binary drivers? Generally,
> the binary blob drivers are preferred for NVIDIA and ATI cards
> (although hearing good things about the ATI open source driver for
> hardware a couple years or more old). I assume you are using a
> graphics chipset from one of NVIDIA, ATI or Intel. See the appropriate
> Debian wiki (sorry didn't see anything specific for Intel but the T60
> page has some info for using i810)
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
> http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
> http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/T60/lenny

I have a Intel 865 integrated video card (ICH5 north bridge, if I'm not
much in error). I've always been using it with the driver "intel" or
"i810" (byt I'm almost sure they are the same at present, they may have
been different some years ago): never had problems.

At present my xorg.conf is the one created by dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg, but I also tried again old version of xorg.conf, with no
results.

>> The problem affects mythtv (recordings and livetv), ogle and xine, but not
>> mplayer, ffplay and totem. Flash movies work like a charm (I watch them in
>> the browser, both Epiphany and Iceweasel).
>
> What do you get from mythtv --version in the cli? If you in fact have
> your xorg.conf setup appropriately I believe there is a fbdevice
> option that would need to be compiled into mythtv. I'm not sure if it
> is enabled by default and no very little about this other than I
> remember seeing it when I checkout the source the other day.

With mythtv --version I get a lot of log lines, but no version at all!
But dpkg says the version is 0.21.svn20080706-0.0 (from marillat repo).

> Since it's affecting more than just mythtv I would guess that
> xorg.conf tweaks would be the best/easiest place to start before you
> go through the entire setup again with different repositories. If you
> can get xine working I think mythtv should work too. If you just fix
> mythtv then xine will still be broken, right?

You're definitely right!

> I'm away from my system but will check to see if fbdevice option is
> included in Tino's binary. I'll send you the device section in my
> xorg.conf (probably no help unless you have an nvidia card - but most
> things work automatically). It's going to be 12 hours or more before I
> get chance to look at my system...

I'll check the links above in order to find where my xorg configuration
maybe wrong.

Best regards.
--
Andrea