[mythtv-users] Just a two-lines playback...

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:06:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Paul Gallaway wrote:
>>
>> (although hearing good things about the ATI open source driver for
>> hardware a couple years or more old). I assume you are using a
>
> I hope you didn't mean radeonhd with this remark.
> See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd for the ATI open source driver that does
> support R500 and newer ATI graphics devices.

I most certainly did not. I was referencing a recent discussion on the
list that indicated radeon (aka "ati") > radeonhd for older (x1250,
x300, x800 etc.) hardware where support exists. They also discuss the
limitations of the support for the radeon driver, the benefits of the
radeonhd driver (e.g. hdmi) and playback limitations of fglrx - the
proprietary driver (e.g. tearing).
Also see the heading, "What about other drivers?" here:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon
I presently use the radeon driver with an x800. Not as nice for
playback as my 7600GT or 8400GS with the nvidia driver, but definitely
less configuration to get it setup. Also a welcome change from the
configuration pains it use to take to get this card working with an
accelerated driver 3 years ago and every bit as good for my card as
the fglrx driver.

Anyway, this is quickly getting OT to the OPs question. Let's wait and
see what hardware the OP so we can give more practical advice and keep
the thread on topic.
--
~pAul.

        all good things. all in good time.