[mythtv-users] What's appropriate to use/distribute in MythTV

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 18:45:02 UTC 2009

> > Hi
>
> [snip]
>

> > I don't like to stand still...
>
> As a user of JYA's backport I am dissappointed by this
> thread.
>
> JYA has always made it quite clear that he doesn't expect
> the myth
> devs or this mailing list or the IRC channel to support his
> backport.
>
> I understand the rules and the philosophy that fixes is
> only for fixes.
>
> However I also see current support for VDPAU in many other
> projects
> including xbmc and no doubt many others. A different
> development model
> perhaos, but one that at least on that score has worked!
>
> I am not criticising the devs or JYA or the xbmc developers
> - just
> saying that there must be some room for compromise and for
> spats like
> this thread to be avoided.
>
> JYA has probably made a rod for his back with support, I
> personally
> know he posts here, mythtvnz, mythbuntu forums and answers
> private
> emails. There is no need for people who don't want to do so
> to get
> involved in supporting his backport.
>
> As far as stability is concerned, I have had no problems.

Clearly there's some sort of power struggle going on here. Is the users list the place to discuss it?

fwiw, I use JYAs backport and very much appreciate the effort he's put into it.
I'm not concerned at all if it breaks the upgrade path. It works fine as is so I see no reason to upgrade.
If I ever do, I will do so knowing it may break and enjoy the challenge of fixing it.

Usenet has a mythtv group that sees very little traffic. Maybe JYA would consider using that group as a discussion area for his port.

That way, the few posts pertaining to his port that end up here wouldn't distract from the discussions on HDD MTBF and Rocketraid.