[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Wed May 20 16:20:31 UTC 2009

Nick Morrott wrote:
>>  Strange to see the same trends as in my data.
>
> I'd suspected memory usage was growing over time (as the machine is
> always on). Your initial posts on your increasing memory usage
> convinced me to learn to write up some RRD scripts to monitor it over
> time.

Hmm. Cool!

>>  You did also use `ps` or similar as the source of the data?
>
> /bin/ps -C mythbackend -o rss=,vsz=

So yes.

>>  Are you running on a VIA platform?
>
> No.

Hmm. So it is not a `VIA problem`.

>>  Using the same DVB-T card as I do?
>
> 3 KWorld DVB-Xpert cards which use the cx88_dvb module.

I have a Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-T, so no match there.

>>  Using Fedora 10?
>
> Machine is still using FC4 with a 2.6.16 kernel. Has been super
> stable, so haven't wanted to upgrade it (but might get around to it
> this summer).

Hmm. Again no match. (thanks for the answers, though!)

> I haven't had the time to look into it any further than monitoring
> memory usage and disabliing active EIT last year (I did this 2008-07
> after initial investigation and the graph is available at
> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/mbe-mem-usage-active-eit-disabled.png)

EIT appears to play a certain role there. Over here the issue was
already happening before I enabled EIT, but still EIT was in need of
fixes at time of that graph.

Hmmm.
No VIA problem.
No Terratec problem.