[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:37:58 UTC 2009

On 20/05/2009, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>
> > Alex's data I've just put the latest rrdgraph output online at:
> >
> > Last 1 month:
> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/mbe-mem-usage.png
> > Last 6 months:
> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/mbe-mem-usage-6months.png
> >

>  Thanks!
>  Strange to see the same trends as in my data.

I'd suspected memory usage was growing over time (as the machine is
always on). Your initial posts on your increasing memory usage
convinced me to learn to write up some RRD scripts to monitor it over
time.

>  You did also use `ps` or similar as the source of the data?

/bin/ps -C mythbackend -o rss=,vsz=

>  Are you running on a VIA platform?

No. MBE is a 2006-vintage Gigabyte NF3U-based system. 1GiB RAM and
AMD64 3000 CPU. Also has a PVR-150 for STB capture.

>  Using the same DVB-T card as I do?

3 KWorld DVB-Xpert cards which use the cx88_dvb module.

>  Using Fedora 10?

Machine is still using FC4 with a 2.6.16 kernel. Has been super
stable, so haven't wanted to upgrade it (but might get around to it
this summer).

I haven't had the time to look into it any further than monitoring
memory usage and disabliing active EIT last year (I did this 2008-07
after initial investigation and the graph is available at
http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/mbe-mem-usage-active-eit-disabled.png)

Nick

--
Nick Morrott