[mythtv-users] Absolute newbie stumped

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Wed May 20 03:01:37 UTC 2009

Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Distributions are a personal choice, but I found
>> Mythbuntu a little too confining. The Mythdora (updated version is now part
>> of the MythTV wiki) write up was just at my level.
>>

> When I started with myth, I somewhat arbitrarily chose MythDora.  I'm
> just a tiny bit sorry I didn't go with Mythbuntu since it seems that
> there is more "active" support there.  Or maybe the grass is always
> greener on the other side...

I would also recommend Knoppmyth as it is designed as an appliance. It
also has excellent support via its forums.

The main page is at http://mysetopbox.tv
The forum is at: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/index.php

When I first started, I tried a number of the distros and Knoppmyth was
just more straight forward as a newbie. I am much more experienced now
and have customized the heck out of my systems but I still keep my
mythtv network as a set of appliances not as generic servers with myth
on it. I find it keeps my life simple.

But my advice would be to try the appliance based distros and do an
install on your hardware of choice and see which one goes in easier and
which has the feature set you prefer. With both Knoppmyth and Mythdora
you should be up and running within 20 minutes if your hardware is
reasonably "myth normal".

Christian