[mythtv-users] Graphical launcher plugin

auric auric at aanet.com.au
Mon May 18 22:46:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 22:19 +0000, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org
wrote:
> Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:49:11 -0400
> From: Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Graphical launcher plugin
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Yan Seiner wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up a graphical launcher for some programs.  The
> idea
> > is that the user would get a gallery of thumbnails, click on one,
> and
> > the program would launchm much the same way that the gallery view
> > launches movies in myth.  That way I could launch arbitrary
> programs
> > within myth.
> >
> > I originally thought something like xdialog might have a thumbnail
> > launcher, but no joy.  I have not found anything that would do that.
> >
> > Is anyone aware of anything like that for myth?
> >
> > --Yan
> >
> Mythgame is intended as a general purpose program launcher.
> Alternatively, you could add a directory with a number of '.sh' files
> linking to said applications, and add a custom extension in mythvideo
> run them in 'sh'.

Yep, I start firefox, xbmc, etc via the mythvideo method. Have a script
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvideoplayer. You setup a new file type
(str) in MythVideo and assign this script as the player. Then create a
MythVideo file containing the program you want to run.
e.g.
mrl: http://live.twit.tv/
player: firefox
This would start firefox with url http://live.twit.tv/
If you leave off the mrl: then just the program would start.
e.g.
mrl: NA
player: xbmc

The tricky part is getting lirc correct. I'm not sure it's needed but I
put all programs in their own mode
e.g.
begin mythtv
        # Up
        begin
                remote = grayHauppauge
                prog = mythtv
                button = up
                repeat = 3
                config = Up
        end
end mythtv

However this can mean that sometimes when I exit the started program
lirc is not back in "mythtv" mode. So I have
# If I get out of mythtv mode put it back in
begin
        remote = grayHauppauge
        prog = mythtv
        button = hash