[mythtv-users] GeForce 8400 still recommended for VDPAU?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun May 17 23:36:28 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/5/18 Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>:
> Do you really gain anything getting a high power usage and expensive video
> card over just getting a powerful CPU and letting the CPU do the decoding?
>  This 9500GT seems to have coper heat pipe cooling so it must be a power
> hog. Just asking...

For a start, the 9500GT isn't that much more expensive than a 9400GT
(which is the cheapest 9xxx discrete video card).

Secondly, there are no software solution currently providing anything
close to the VDPAU video renderer and its amazing quality.

I wasn't as much interested in VDPAU for its hardware decoding
capabilities than for its deinterlacers...
Advanced 2X (temporal spatial) provide extremely good deinterlacers
and nothing in mythtv come close IMHO.

I have a 3.16GHz C2D in my frontend and I'm using VDPAU ...

I have a 9400M motherboard, I used Advanced 2X for all SD content and
Temporal 2X for HD content.

I would prefer to use Advanced 2X, but the nvidia 9400 isn't fast
enough for HD content.
Advanced 1X provides better result for some channels, while the
Temporal 2X looks better for sport content

Jean-Yves