[mythtv-users] Help Setting up serial IR blaster for Comcast/Pace DC50X

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 14 02:03:42 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 19:14:12 Brad Fuller wrote:
> I read a couple places how erratic IR blashers are via serial. I don't
> know why that would be there's nothing to the hw and RS232s have been
> around forever.

RS-232 has been around a long time, but the serial blasters do not use it in a
standard manner. They don't even use the data T/R lines, but use one or more
of the handshaking lines (I forget which ones) to drive the LED directly.

This is why you usually can't use a USB-Serial converter.

There is also a lot of variation in the LEDs available, and many different
actual chips doing the RS-232. It used to be everyone had the same UART chip,
but now everything's integrated into some other mobo chip, hence more
variation in port parameters like available current, which can effect a
blaster's performance.

To the O/P: Can you try a port on an add-on card, or a different one if your
mobo has more than one? Can you determine what chip is driving the port?
(SuperIO or the like)?

IOW, I'm wondering if your problem might be related to the port and/or your
LED. It's a stretch, but you seem to have tried everything else so far.

> Looking at the options, my only other possibilities are the MCEUSB,
> Iguana Works and CommandIR. CommandIR is $100! Seems like a lot for
> changing channels. The good thing is that it has it's own driver and
> seems to be supported.
>
> Anyone used any of these products with success or not?

No. I use an old MyBlaster that "just works".

--
beww
beww at beww.org