[mythtv-users] Storing TV on a NAS (centralised storage)

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Wed May 13 16:11:03 UTC 2009

glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> <snip>
> I have been debating whether to use a NAS or just attach lots of HDD space to the MBE but I figure that using a NAS should improve network traffic and reduce power consumption.

<snip>

I wonder if a low power NAS device could keep up with the i/o required.
My system with MBE and SBE has two SD tuners (PVR-500) and 3 QAM tuners
that only record HD material. Potentially I could have 2 SD and 3 HD
shows recording at once while two comm flagging and three being viewed
on FE machines. I have gigabit between my machines, but it seems that
occasionally the MBE gets i/o bound (amd x2 5200+). If you know what
kind of i/o the NAS is capable of can you post any numbers?

Thanks,
James