[mythtv-users] pvr250 and dvb-t: races during initialization

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Wed May 13 07:12:36 UTC 2009

Hi *

Recently I added DVB-T card to my KnopMyth R5F27 based backend.
My backend is:
-r5f27 + ivtv 10.0.1
-3x hauppauge pvr250
-1x hauppauge Nova-T (recently added)

Issue  is that sometimes (every  few reboots/restarts) one analog card
is unavailable.
Scanning dmesg shows me that in fully working backend I have:

root at mythtv:~# dmesg | grep -i video
Boot video device is 0000:01:00.0
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
ivtv0: Registered device video1 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv1: Registered device video2 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv1: Registered device video33 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv1: Registered device video25 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv2: Registered device video3 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv2: Registered device video34 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv2: Registered device video26 for encoder PCM (320 kB)

When system boots with unavailable card - in dmesg I see first pvr250
and dvb-t having swapped video devices (pvr250 has assigned to video0
and dvb-t assigned to video1).
It is obvious that in such case backend can't access pvr250 card as it
has video[x] device different than declared in myth config.

Problem start to manifest after adding dvb-t card.

In my system all my pvr250 cards are declared as ivtv devices, while
dvb-t seems to be served by v4l layer.
Maybe this is source of my problems as I have 2 diferent subsystems
(ivtv and v4l) which are concurrently inicializing my hardware ?.
I was trying to setup pvr250 cards as v4l devices - but result is black
screen from pvr250 sources.

Do somebody has advice how to resolve this issue ?

thx in advance