[mythtv-users] New deinterlacer for perfect image quality when using an interlaced display, mode that matches the source

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue May 12 09:03:50 UTC 2009

Tom Dexter wrote:
> I discovered today that the 0.21-fixes version of the bug 2903 patch
> didn't work correctly, as I've explained in the additional comments.
> My refresh rate of 30.0267 was failing that test and thus not getting
> doubled when I used this version of the patch.
>
> However here's what really confuses me:  When I attempted to watch
> recorded 1080i content, it was rejected the fieldorder deinterlacer
> (as you'd expect with the above check) and therefor using none.
> However...when I watched 1080i LiveTV, for some reason it was allowing
> the fieldorder deinterlacer, but was completely whacked out.  I think
> perhaps it may have been trying to use it without treating it as line
> doubling deinterlacer, though there's a lot going on there I'm not
> familiar with at all.

Yes I've seen that too. If a rate-doubling deinterlacer is rejected on
the basis of insufficient display framerate then it is properly rejected for
the playback of recordings. But for playback of live TV, the
deinterlacer still gets used in a way that makes playback unwatchably
jerky; my guess is that, although the deinterlacer is used, the
framerate isn't doubled.

P.