[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 19:46:51 UTC 2009

> > You might consider $60 to get a 3G CPU for you
> existing system.
> >

> My motherboard is socket 423, that tops out at 2.0G I
> think?  I could be
> wrong.  If so, an easy upgrade is definitely appealing.
> I've seen adapters
> that allow the use of socket 478 chips, but the adapter is
> costly and
> degrades the performance (I would think).  Better to get a
> new CPU/mother.
> But there we run into the spiral of how much $ to put into
> a new hobby :)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion!

I recently bought a Gigabyte MB (Intel onboard, oops) 4GB of ram, and E5200 processor for about what I paid for one stick of PC1066 Rambus RIMM back in the day.
Hardware is cheap now.

I have two boxes (with four sticks of PC1066 each) still running. One is (was) a slave BE/frontend with a A180 and NTSC115 in it.
The tuners are now in a headless Gigabyte (Intel) box.
The Rambus boxes are mostly off now days.